ACM IUI 2023 - Final Call for Workshop and Tutorial Proposals
by Hauptmann, H.J. (Hanna)
* Only 1 week left*
* We apologize if you receive multiple copies of this CfP *
* For the online version of this Call, visit: https://iui.acm.org/2023/call_for_workshops.html *
In conjunction with the 28th International ACM Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces (ACM IUI 2023), Sydney, Australia, March 21, 2023 https://iui.acm.org/2023/
WORKSHOP AND TUTORIAL CO-CHAIRS
Alison Smith-Renner, Human AI Innovation Team, Dataminr, USA
Paul Taele, Sketch Recognition Lab, Texas A&M University, USA
CALL FOR PROPOSALS
We are pleased to invite proposals for workshops and tutorials to be held in conjunction with the conference. The goal of the workshops is to provide a venue for presenting research on focused topics of interest and an informal forum to discuss research questions and challenges. Tutorials are designed to provide fundamental knowledge and experience on topics related to intelligent user interfaces, and the intersection between Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) and Artificial Intelligence (AI).
Note: We encourage you to contact the chairs with your ideas (wt2023(a)iui.acm.org), and work together to prepare an exciting proposal.
We encourage proposals for a wide range of workshops and tutorials, including but not limited to:
- "Mini-conferences" on specialized topics; such workshops may have their own paper submission and review processes.
- "Late breaking work" meetings; such workshops usually have a lighter review process (e.g. based on abstracts only).
- "Hands-on" workshops around a specific problem or topic that may wish to ask participants to submit a position statement.
- "Project centric" workshops that may be closely related to the scope of an existing large scale (e.g. NSF, EU, etc. funded) project.
- "Mini-competitions", challenges, or hackathons around selected topics with individual or team participation.
- Tutorials on a specific topic relevant to IUI; for example, methods and approaches in HCI and/or AI, specific techniques or algorithms to develop intelligent user interfaces, etc.
Workshops and tutorials will be held on the first day of the conference. We invite submissions of proposals for full-day and half-day workshops or tutorials. Proposals will be reviewed and evaluated by the workshop and tutorial chairs.
Workshops with few submissions by Wednesday, 11 January, 2023 may be canceled, shortened, merged with other workshops, or otherwise restructured. The organizers of accepted workshops and tutorials are responsible for producing a call for participation and publicizing it, such as distributing the call to relevant newsgroups and electronic mailing lists, and especially to potential audiences from outside the IUI conference community. Workshop and tutorial organizers will maintain their own website with information about the workshop or tutorial and the ACM IUI 2023 web site will refer to this website. The workshop organizers will coordinate the paper solicitation, collection, and review process. A workshop and tutorials summary will be included in the ACM Digital Library for ACM IUI 2023, and we will separately publish a joint workshop proceedings for accepted workshop submissions (through CEUR or similar).
Workshop or tutorial proposals should be maximum 2 pages long. Prepare your submission using the latest templates: Word Submission Template or the LaTeX template.
The proposals should be organized as follows:
- Name and title: A one-word acronym and a full title. Please indicate ?(Workshop)? or ?(Tutorial)? after the title, as appropriate.
- Description of workshop or tutorial topic: This description should discuss the relevance of the suggested topic to IUI and its interest for the IUI 2022 audience. Include a brief discussion of why and for which audience the workshop or tutorial is of particular interest.
- Previous history: List of previous workshops or tutorials that were held on the topic including the conferences that hosted past workshops or tutorials and the number of participants.
- Organizer(s): Names, affiliations, emails, and web pages of the organizer(s). Provide a brief description of the background of the organizer(s). Strong proposals normally include organizers who bring differing perspectives on the topic and are actively connected to the communities of potential participants. Please indicate the primary contact person and the organizers who plan to attend the workshop. Also please provide a list of other workshops or tutorials organized by workshop organizers in the past.
- Workshop program committee: Names and affiliation of the members of the (tentative) workshop program committee that will evaluate the workshop submissions.
- Participants: A statement saying how many participants you expect and how you plan to invite participants for the workshop or tutorial. If possible, include the names of at least 10 people who have expressed interest to participate in the workshop or tutorial.
- Workshop or Tutorial format: A brief description of the format regarding the mix of events or activities, such as paper presentations, invited talks, panels, demonstrations, teaching activities, hands-on practical exercises, general discussion. Please also list here any material you will make available to tutorial participants, e.g. slides, access to hardware/software, handouts, etc. Please describe your approach for a hybrid or virtual workshop if needed.
- Planned outcomes of the workshop or tutorials: What are you hoping to achieve by the end of the workshop or tutorials? Please list here any planned publications or other outputs arising from workshops.
- Length: Full-day or half-day.
Please submit your proposal via Precision Conference selecting the ACM IUI 2023 Workshops and Tutorials track.
Discuss your topic with the workshop and tutorials chairs: ASAP (wt2023(a)iui.acm.org)
Proposals due: 23 September 2022
Decisions Sent: 14 October 2022
** TENTATIVE dates of the workshop review cycle **
Workshop Submissions: Monday, 2 January, 2023
Report workshop status to chairs: Monday, 9 January, 2023
Go/No-go Decision on Workshops: Wednesday, 11 January, 2023
Notifications to authors: Friday, 29 January, 2023
Camera-ready for Workshop/Tutorial summary: Wednesday, 8 February, 2023
Workshop held: 27-31 March, 2023